"Group Coaching is an intimate conversation space, focused on goal setting, awareness building and accountability" - As I was quoted in Choice Magainze (Vol 9, Number 1, pp 31)
Group coaching is all about the conversation. I also like to remind coaches that the impact of coaching really happens outside of the contact time we typically have with a group, when they return to their work and/or life.
Keeping the conversation flowing for participants - internally, and with others - is something to consider when designing your next program.
Keep in mind the following strategies to keep the conversation going:
1. Create a workbook or worksheets for participants to use/reflect on between the coaching conversations
2. Consider how journaling can add to the coaching process
3. Provide group members with a reading list of books/other resources they might find interesting, and content, related to the topics you are coaching around. You may also want to encourage the group to create their own reading/resource list.
4. Create a private Facebook group for members to keep the conversation going
5. Send out regular questions for people to consider. For years I ran the 90 Day BizSuccess Group Coaching program for business owners. Each week group members would receive an email tip/quote from me into their inbox. It helped keep the program top of mind, and also stimulated some great thinking! Using a program like Constant Contact can help make these an automated process.
6. Create Accountability partners within the group - one or more participants who meet between the group touch points with a focus on conversation, sharing and accountability
What other strategies have you used to keep the conversation flowing with your groups?
Have a great week!
Jennifer Britton, PCC, CPCC
Author of Effective Group Coaching (Wiley, 2010)
Host of the Group Coaching Essentials teleseminar program - 6.75 ICF CCEs. Next Group starts Tuesday March 20th (Tues 7-8:15 pm Eastern)- March 20, 27, April 3, 10, and 17 - 4 spots open
Next Mentor Coaching Group starts Friday March 23 (Fridays 12 - 1pm Eastern) - 10 hours of mentor coaching (7 hrs group, 3 hrs individual). Meets requirements for ACC renewal and ACC and PCC portfolio route - 3 spots open