This year I have spoken with many different groups of coaches, at ICF conferences, SIGs and other coach gatherings. Recently I was asked, What supports can support coaches in doing their own group coaching work? Great question.
I've written a lot over the years about Systems which can be useful in your business (check out some of the business development posts using the right hand tab) when running group coaching. Today I wanted you to think about some of the roles/people which might be helpful in doing your best work possible.
Here are some of the roles/tasks which might help you to focus on getting your work done, or in doing the best work possible:
- Admin support for registrations, payments, communication
- Web - website/social media/payments
- Moderator to support you during the program if you are using more technology (i.e. webinar). Note the ethical issues which would arise if you bring a moderator in for group coaching work. Have they agreed to confidentiality? How will their presence impact the group coaching conversation? My preference is always to involve others as a full blown co-facilitator/co-leader, if I need to bring others in
- Editor/Graphic Designer - help with materials production/graphics etc
- Marketing - one of the areas coaches continue to find a challenge
So does this mean that you need to go out an hire all these people? Not necessarily. Think about where you already may bring strengths/skills in these areas. Some of the roles may also be nice to have versus need to have. Consider if you do need to outsource these or if you can cover off the bases yourself. Personally, many of you know my preference for keeping it in house by using your own strengths, without detracting from your time available to do great work with groups.
Have a terrific week!
Jennifer Britton, CPCC, PCC, CHRP
Author of Effective Group Coaching (Wiley, 2010)
December Accelerated Group Coaching Essentials program starts December 1st (6.75 CCEs): December 1, 6, 8, 13 and 15 (Tues/Thurs 7-815 pm ET). Acquire skills and tools to design, market and implement your own group coaching work next year.
Join me Friday December 2 and 9 for the 2012 Business Planning Virtual Retreat (1-4 pm ET both afternoons)
Next Mentor Coaching Group (ACC/PCC) starts January 6th (Fridays 12 - 1 pm Eastern). Max 4 coaches.