Friday, October 07, 2011

Pre-Program Questions for Clients - Individual/Public Clients

Many readers would know that I place a strong priority on having a pre-program conversation with group coaching participants. Designing the Coaching Agreement is a core coaching competency, and can start before group members even enter the room (or come together on the phone). In my book, Effective Group Coaching, I cover a number of questions I might ask to individuals who are signing up for a program that I am offering, as well as questions I would ask to corporate clients. Refer to Chapter 7 - Essential Elements for Your Group Coaching Program.

In today's post, I wanted to share the pre-program questions I may ask to individuals signing up for my public programs.

Some of these questions may include:
  • What do you want to get out of your involvement with this program?
  • What topics do you want to explore?
  • What should I know about you?
  • What should I know about your goals?
  • What should I know about your learning style?
  • How will this link back to your work? Your life? Your relationships?
  • What are the most important topics around _______ (insert topic)?
Typically I spent 15 minutes with each participant by phone (or skype) in discussion around these questions, as well as covering off logistics for the program. It helps in terms of getting to know each other, as well as finding out what are key priorities for participants. Finally, it is essential in ensuring that expectations match.

Consider for yourself:
What is important for my pre-program processes?
What questions do I want to ask my participants before the program starts/or in the first session?
What do I want participants to know before we start our work together?
What do I want to know about them?

Have a wonderful week!

Jennifer
Jennifer Britton, PCC, CPCC
Group Coaching Essentials - Next group starts Tuesday October 11th at 7 pm Eastern -Approved for 6.75 CCEs with the ICF. Spots are still open - reserve yours today
Group Coaching Intensive - Two day In Person Training (Toronto - November 5-6). Register with a colleague and each save $175 plus HST
Phone: 416.996.8326

No comments: