Friday, April 13, 2007

Become a resource go-to person

Are you a resource go-to person? Are you someone who can link clients and others with resources they need? Or prehaps you provide these resources yourself.

A key principle of marketing success for independent professionals I often speak about is getting known in your area of specialty. What is your specialty?

When I first started coaching in early 2004, I really resisted the push into one niche or specialty area. Over the last three years I have continued to draw on my different areas of specialization (in part due to my very diverse education and life experience) which have included group program development, work-life balance, teamwork and business issues. It's hard to look back objectively, but I'm pretty happy that I remained multi-focused and it certainly has led to a very diverse business base for myself. As someone who craves diversity, I appreciate being able to move back and forth between client groups and different projects. It has however required concerted effort in getting known in these different client groups -- and very strategically.

Last night I hosted a call with Hellen Buttigieg, TV host and diva organizer, which was attended by close to 15o participants. The evening's topic was "Help! I'm drowning in a sea of paper". From feedback last night and emails this morning, it certainly had a very profound impact on participants.

One of the things that brought Hellen and I together was my expertise in the area of virtual retreats and group coaching. We are co-leading the Get Organized! Virtual Retreat in early May (which I hope that you might consider attending yourself). It's a six hour virtual retreat over two evenings which focuses on organization and balance. I'm really excited about this upcoming project and it is definitely something I would not have thought of creating on my own, and is a much bigger scale. To me, this example demonstrates the become a resource go-to person principle. You never know where it may lead!

In closing, I'd like you to ask yourself, What can I become a resource go-to person for? Who do I want to get known as? What is one thing I can do next week to offer myself as a resource?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and please feel free to comment below.

Have a wonderful weekend,
Jennifer

Jennifer Britton, MES, CPCC, CHRP, CPT
Potentials Realized
Email: jennifer[at]potentialsrealized[dot]com
Toll Free: 1-866-217-1960

No comments: