Monday, February 04, 2013

The modular approach to program design



A shot of two of my current projects: Jenn Britton
In my book, Effective Group Coaching, I talk about how I use a modular approach to program design in creating most of my coaching and training programs. We also cover this in the Group Coaching Essentials teleclass.

By  using a modular approach I can combine different components to create different programs. For example, over the years I have developed several different components (or building blocks) around working with values. Some of these run for 20 minutes, others can expand to 2 hours. We may use a values checklist to start the conversation, or do a peak experience visualization to explore values, depending on the group. Likewise, I have several different options (or building blocks) if a client, team or group wants to look at strengths. Some shorter and more defined, others more exploratory and group led.

The great thing with a modular program design is that is allows you  to quickly take stock of what approaches you have already and how these can be combined for different groups and needs. Right now, I am in the process of designing three different sessions to be delivered in the next few weeks to three different client groups. One is a full day retreat, one a series of team coaching conversations, and one is a two hour presentation. As I have moved through the pre-program 1-1 calls the focus and interest areas have emerged for the different groups. This has allowed me to quickly pull together draft agendas which either go directly to the team and/or organizer for consideration. It certainly has made it much easier to be planning for multiple new programs this month.

How might a modular approach benefit your program design?

Best wishes,
Jenn

Jennifer Britton, MES, PCC, CPCC
GroupCoachingEssentials.com
Next Group Coaching Essentials teleclass starts Tuesday/tomorrow Feb 5th at 2 pm Eastern. Group calls held Feb 5, 12, 19, 26 and March 5, 2013 (Tuesdays 2-3:15 pm Eastern/New York). 6.75 CCEs. Three spots still open.
Phone: (416)996-8326

No comments: