There are some important and subtle differences in terms of the stance we take as a coach when working with a group of individuals versus a team (virtual, intact, project team). If you haven't read my Choice magazine article from a few years ago on the topic of group and team coaching I would encourage you to download it and read it now.
Some key differences between team and group coaching which are important to keep in mind include the:
- Role of relationships, power and leadership
- The lifecycle of the grouping - does the grouping start and end with the coach (mostly the case of group coaching) or is the coach coming in to work with an entity that continues in its lifecycle (mostly in the case of team coaching)
- Roles that exist
- Whether there is a shared purpose and/or vision amongst the grouping
- Stance and orientation of the coach
- Whether we are holding the entity as a system or as a collection of individuals
The differences between team and group coaching is the focus of my second book, From One to Many: Best Practices for Team and Group Coaching. Pick up a copy at Amazon in hardcopy or Kindle.
Be sure to check out Days 1-3 of the 12 Days of holiday resources I've shared this week. You can view them here.
Have a great Thursday,
About Us: Jennifer Britton is author of Effective Group Coaching (Wiley, 2010) andFrom One to Many: Best Practices for Team and Group Coaching (Jossey-Bass, 2013) . Since 2004 she and her company, Potentials Realized, have supported thousands of coaches, trainers, and leaders, design and create more impactful team and group programs (in-person and virtual). Jennifer offers customized programs for organizations, as well as virtual public training programs. Our areas of specialty are team development, leadership and coaching. Our 2017 programming starts during the week of January 9th and will include: The Group Coaching Essentials teleseminar (8.75 CCEs), The Advanced Group and Team Coaching Practicum (10 CCEs), and the Mentor Coaching Group for ACC/PCC portfolio routes. Our 2017 Learning Lab and Design Studio Group for Coaches who want to build their business and expand their group and team programs starts January as well (2 group calls on Fridays throughout 2017)