Sunday, September 11, 2011

8 Ideas for Preparing For Your First Phone/Web Based Session

Over the past seven years, a majority of my work at certain points of the year is virtual, delivering teleclasses, webinars as well as group coaching programs by phone. I often get asked in the Group Coaching Essentials program "What do I need to have in place when I lead my first virtual program (by phone or web).

Here are 8 ideas I offer as a starting point for preparation for you own virtual program, from my book Effective Group Coaching:
  1. Attend other calls as a participant to see different styles in action. Ask: What did the facilitator do that I liked? What did the facilitator do that had a positive impact on the group? What di the facilitator do that had a negative impact on the group's experience? What exercises did they use? How much time was allotted for discussion? How did the facilitator address different learning styles? The one learning point I want to take forward is .....
  2. Test run the technology
  3. Refer to FAQs on the website of the technology you are using for tips on how to mute, record etc.
  4. Have PINs/Passwords readily at hand
  5. Always have a back up bridgeline
  6. Develop a contingency plan - expect the unexpected!
  7. Send out a reminder before the program - people do forget!
  8. Identify possible pitfalls
(Copyright 2010, Britton - pp, 137. Effective Group Coaching (Wiley, 2010)

I often encourage facilitators and coaches new to virtual work to do a test run. What will make you feel confident as you run your first phone or web based session?

Have a great start to your week!

Jennifer

Jennifer Britton, PCC, CPCC
Group Coaching Essentials - Our next ICF-approved CCE program starts this Thursday September 15th at 10:30 am Eastern - 2 spots open! Registrations also being accepted for October 11th.
Author of Effective Group Coaching (Wiley, 2010)
Email: info{at}potentialsrealized{dot}com

No comments: