Last week I lead a one day coach training session up in Thunder Bay for a group of HR professionals
Today's post include more than six coaching questions you might want use to explore when working around goals in coaching.
As a starting point, you may want to have some discussion around how goals are SMART-E - as I write in From One to Many: Best Practices for Team and Group Coaching. SMART goals can be made into SMART-E goals, ensuring that goals are not only Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time bound, but that they are Exciting as well. If goals are not exciting, what is the likelihood of follow-through?
Remember that goals are of then the "bookends" of any coaching conversation. We generally start and end coaching conversations by asking what the focus of the conversation is, what success will look like at the end of the conversation, and making sure we circle back to check in at the end of the conversation in terms of how we did.
Questions you may want to ask:
1. What's important about that goal?
2. What will success with this goal look like?
3. What will success around that goal enable you to do?
4. What might get in the way of success? (OR What could derail your progress with this)?
5. What will help you be successful?
6. What lessons learned will help you be successful this time?
7. Who can support you in your actions? Or What will support you?
8. What will you do to keep this goal in front of you?
9. What milestones are there along the way?
10. How will you celebrate when you complete your goal?
What are some of your favorite coaching questions? Feel free to comment below or post them on our Effective Group Coaching Facebook page.
Jennifer Britton, MES, CPT, PCC, CPCC
GroupCoachingEssentials.com | Potentials Realized
Author of Effective Group Coaching (Wiley, 2009) and From One to Many: Best Practices for Team and Group Coaching (Jossey-Bass, 2013)
Upcoming programs include: the Mentor Coaching Group (10 hrs for ACC/PCC) starting Friday March 4th at 11 am ET. The next Group Coaching Essentials teleseminar (8.75 CCEs) program starts April 6. the next Advanced Group Coaching Practicum starts Thursday March 31st (10 CCEs)