Monday, April 08, 2013

MindMapping - An essential part of group coaching design

"How do I design a group coaching program" is one of the most common questions I get when I speak
to coaches. From experience, there is always a tension between doing some per-preparation design, and also having this infused buy the group or team participants.

One of the design tools I wrote about in Effective Group Coaching was the MindMap (Refer to chapter 5 on Design).  My Effective Group Coaching Tip today on my Facebook page was in fact a reminder of this handy design tool (see today's blog post photo).

MindMapping is a right-brained tool, originally created by Tony Busan. Business Dictionary.com provides the following definition of mindmapping:


Graphical technique for visualizing connections between several ideas or pieces of information. Each idea or fact is written down and then linked by lines or curves to its major or minor (or following or previous) idea or fact, thus creating a web of relationships. Developed by the UK researcher Tony Buzan in his 1972 book 'Use Your Head,' mind mapping is used in note taking, brainstorming, problem solving, and project planning. Like other mapping techniques its purpose is to focus attention, and to capture and frame knowledge to facilitate sharing of ideas and concepts.


Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/mind-mapping.html#ixzz2Ptfn9TBX


I find mindmapping a terrific tool to capture program ideas as I move through initial deisgn, into pre-program calls, and then program design.

Some professionals my prefer to draw their MindMap by hand. If you prefer using the computer some of the diferent MindMap software you may prefer are:
MindJet.com
MindMeister.com
Buzan's ThinkBuzan.com

There are also a number of great apps available for MindMaping on a iPad or Android. You can see me talk about my experience using MindMapping on an Android tablet here.

The activity I pose in today's Effective Group Coaching tip is to spend 10 minutes MindMapping all of your program ideas for an upcoming program. Capture all of your thoughts around potential themes, questions, activities, venue, to dos etc.

Have a great week!

With best wishes,
Jennifer

Jennifer Britton, PCC, CPCC
Author of Effective Group Coaching (Wiley, 2010)
My newest book - From One to Many - Best Practices for Team and Group Coaching will be released mid-June.
Phone: (416)996-TEAM (8326)
Email: info{at}potentiaslrealized{dot}com

Join me for an upcoming program including the:
 Group Coaching Practicum - 8 CCEs: starts Tuesday April 9th at 4:30 pm Eastern/1:30 pm Pacific. Practice and get feedback on your group coaching skills in the virtual domain. Group calls April 9, 16,
30, May 14, 21 and 28, 2013
Group Coaching Essentials - 6.75 CCEs: starts Thursday April 11th at 10 am Eastern/7 am Pacific. This teleseminar provides coaches with the foundations of group coaching - design, marketing, implementation and exercises. Group calls Thurs 10-11:15 am ET April 11, 19, May 2, 9, 16, 2013. The next program will start in May on Fridays 10-11:15 am ET May 3-31, 2013.
Mentor Coaching Group - For ACC Renewals, and ACC/PCC Portfolio Routes, Fridays 12 - 1 pm ET April 12 - July 12th. 10 hours of mentor coahcing - 7 hours small group calls, 3 hours individual calls. Click here for more info and to register.

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Hi Jennifer and Joanna,
I have a Mind Map draft of my group coaching course, "Exploring Your MORE" and my One Page Plan of my goals for the program. Just need to figure out how to post it here. If I can't work it out, I will send in a group email.
Cheers,
Lynda