Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Lessons from West Africa

I spent last week in Senegal, West Africa, working with an incredibly talented group of professionals from UNICEF country offices in the region. I was there to lead a Coaching and Mentoring Training of Trainers program. It was a wonderful experience, and for those who know my background, was an opportunity to return to my own roots in the UN and international development sector. It was the first time I had travelled to Africa, which I was pleasantly surprised to find had such similarities to parts of the Caribbean I had lived in for 12 years.

Travel has always provided me with new perspectives and last week provided no shortage of this. As I looked out to the east, across the Atlantic one evening at sunset, I imagined a short line to my last home in Barbados - the furthest west island in the Caribbean.

So what were the lessons reinforced for me last week as a coach trainer? Here are a few of the insights I jotted down during my trip:

1. The power of experiential approaches cuts across cultural and language difference. Experiential appraoches enable learners to really engage and get the learning in their bones.
2. Developing a coaching approach and culture takes time, and is an essential ingredient in developing and sustaining a high performance environment.
3. Great work takes time and preparation
4. Keeping the (coaching) client front and center is one of the most important things a new coach can learn.
5. Never underestimate the power of a powerful question.
6. Real learning happens with integration and practice.

What have been some of your recent powerful learning expeirences? What were the lessons you've carried forward from them?

Have a terrific week!

Warmly
Jennifer

PS - My book Effective Group Coaching continues to fly out the door. Haven't ordered your own copy yet at the discounted release price (20% off)? It is avaialble at Amazon.com, Wiley.com, as well as from my site. Orders placed through me are personally signed and sent by me.

1 comment:

Lani said...

I am a teacher and trainer who has taught many diverse groups of students and I agree with your comment that, "The power of experiential approaches cuts across cultural and language difference. Experiential appraoches enable learners to really engage and get the learning in their bones." Research also suggests that in order to create a rich learning environment for diverse groups --experiential learning is paramount.
Lani
Epic Coaching and Education