Thursday, May 22, 2008

10 Essential Items for your facilitation kit

Top 10 Essential Items for Any In-Person Program for Group Coaching, Workshops and Retreats

I’m leading a couples retreat, RelationshipsOnFire, next weekend and spent part of yesterday with my wonderful retreat co-facilitator putting finishing touches on our preparation.

As we went through our checklist, I was reminded of 10 Essential items I make sure I have packed for every in-person program I run – regardless of whether it is a workshop, a retreat or a group coaching program. So that I always ensure that I have them with me I actually have a hard plastic case (about the size of a shoe box) that they fit in. I can easily store it away after each program

Here are 10 favorite items I have in my toolbox for every retreat:

1. My 3 Essential evalution questions – What worked well? What are you taking away? What should we do differently next time?
2. Markers – the low smell ones (note some participants are highly allergic to the standard/high scented ones)
3. Blank Index Cards
4. Lots of 4x6 inch post-it notes
5. Stickers and coloured paper
6. Tape –masking tape or some of the fun coloured sticky tape you can buy at most dollar stores. I also usually like to have a spare on hand (just in case)
7. Pair of scizzors – you never know when you are going to need them
8. Coloured dots: These can be used for a number of purposes including having group members “vote” for their favorite(s), or indicate their preference. It’s a quick, colourful visual way to have all voices and opinions heard/seen within a group or team.
9. Blank Name tags (and usually blank name cards): It’s always much nicer to be able to quickly see who
10. Blank Postcards with the program name on it for participants to write a message/reminder on it. I collect these and put them into envelopes and send them out after a program. It’s a great way to keep the learning alive after a program. VistaPrint.com, which I’ve mentioned before, is a great place to get small batches of postcards/rackcards/business cards printed at.

What else do you pack as an essential item for your group programs? Feel free to comment below

Have a wonderful week,
Jennifer

Jennifer Britton, PCC
Group Coaching Essentials
Potentials Realized

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

XpressPrint is another great company to retrieve small quantities of Postcards, Full Color Business Cards, and Rackcards.