Thursday, March 06, 2008

Technology Happens - Always Have a Backup


The lesson that's been reinforced for me today is "Technology Happens - always have a back up". It's been a funny day for me today with teleconference bridgelines, even the trusty ones that I love to use (http://www.thebasementventures.com/).


Early into this morning's Group Coaching Essentials program , technology happened. All of a sudden, some of us couldn't be heard on the line (myself included as facilitator). I'm not really sure what exactly happened other than a huge sun spot passing over? After reconnecting and returning to the call, we were bounced off again.


The incident was more humorous than annoying, and reinforced a couple of important points for facilitating phone based programs:

1. Spend time discussing (or instructing) what people should do if they get disconnected (i.e. phone back in)

2. Have a back-up bridgeline, preferably with a different service provider

3. Develop a protocol in the event of poor line quality (i.e. should all participants check their email to look at next steps or to communicate when everyone's been disconnected, instructions call back in on a different line etc).


I have only had to invoke the back-up bridgeline once in the last 6 months (which is pretty good since I use teleconferencing at least once a day to run group coaching programs or teleseminars). AND, I always feel good knowing that I have one to rely on.


This afternoon I had another similar situation during a guest speaking engagement, this time with their recording system not working. Luckily, she was able to invoke the back up and saved the day.


With one more teleconference call later tonight, I'm curious as to what back up I'll need there?


Coaching Question: What back up do you need to put into place for your group programs? What back up do you need to put into place for your work and life?

Have a great rest of the week,

Jenn


Jennifer Britton, PCC, CPCC

Potentials Realized

Group Coaching Essentials

Toll Free: 1-866-217-1960



No comments: